Like Dandelion Dust

Ephesians 1:4-5 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will.

This weekend we rented the movie, "Like Dandelion Dust" which is based on the novel by Karen Kingsbury of the same name.  This story depicts the struggle born from the love of two mothers.  One is a mother by birth who loves her son enough to let him go.  The other is a mother by choice who loves her son enough to fight to keep him.

Today I am reading Matthew 27.  This passage recounts the trial, crucifixion, death and burial of Jesus.  From the cross Jesus cries, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"  This is a phrase that wrenches my heart every time I read it.  Jesus is separated from His Father for the first time since eternity past. 

Like any parent, I am struck by the incredible sacrifice not only by the Son but also by the Father.  What parent could willingly give up their child?  I thought of the mothers who bravely choose adoption for their baby armed with the belief that another home can better love and care for the child.  God sent Jesus not to a better place but to a world stained with sin.  The Father gave His Son not to be adopted but so that He could adopt us. 

"Like Dandelion Dust" made me consider the cost of adoption.  To be certain it is an expensive financial venture for the adoptive parents with a price tag of about $25,000.  There is another cost difficult to measure - this price tag is emotional.  Both sets of parents pay an emotional price - one of separation the other of assimilation. 

Jesus, before the world was formed, You planned for my adoption.  Then You provided for every cost.  You paid the price of separation and assimilation.  You were separated that I might join Your family.  You spread Your arms to blow God's love wider than dandelion dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!