God is my Weight Lifter



Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens
Psalm 68:19

Convinced of the benefit, I've been attempting to lift weights for the past ten years. I know the reasons why I should do it - an increased metabolism and a decreased chance of osteoporosis, diabetes, cancer and heart disease are among the many benefits.

Just because I know I should doesn't mean I always do. 

God is the weight lifter of my heart but like a spotter at the gym He hovers nearby without giving assistance unless asked. Why do I endure the sweat and inevitable soreness that follows lifting the weight of my problems? Unlike a trip to the health club, carrying my own burdens only decreases my spiritual health.

Just because I know to give Him my cares, doesn't mean I always do.


Inconsistency plagues my workout routine and I fail to reap the benefits of regularity. Inconsistency in my prayer life has the same impact on my soul.

We all need a workout partner. Want to team up? Let's allow God to be our weight lifter-as He daily bears our burdens, our heart health will skyrocket in praise.




20 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon!
    I love how you said it, "our heart health will skyrocket in praise"! I'm with you sister! ~ Blessings, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always feels so good when God lifts the weight from my shoulders, but I agree...there is sometimes a strange feeling of pain or soreness afterwards. The good news is He's also the Healer. :)

    ~Rosann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sahnnon you hit the nail right on the head with this one. I do this so many times with God. I was just thinking of this the other day as I was struggling with something and I thought, why don't I just give this over to God. It is the same thing as exercise, I know I feel better when I do it but it is a habit. I need to make reaching out to God the same habit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking about exercise and stretching. Stretching before or after exercise helps with soreness so does stretching out our hands and needs to Him. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing another truly inspirational post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind! Thank you for your faithfulness to visit here!

      Delete
  5. It is true that God patiently waits for us to ask for help. He is always there and eagerly waiting for us! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love how you say He waits eagerly! Love that!

      Delete
  6. As someone who's been lifting weights for 20 years, I like the analogy. Even though I have consistency in working out and devotional time, I do often try to carry the weight of the world (even if only my own) on my shoulders. Great analogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, I'm following in your example and getting more disciplined. Thanks for being an inspiration!

      Delete
  7. Great post and very well written!! I love when I get a message from reading someone's post! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carla, so glad you did! It's amazing how God gives us exactly what we need isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I love it how you compare health club to the burdens we carry in our daily lives. It's not easy sometimes. And relying on God is the best I can do for my spiritual growth, most definitely. Love your post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. We've had four of six very sick over the past few days and I've been reminding myself that God is my weight lifter. So I needed this message too!

      Delete
  9. I have been delinquent in my praying and have to agree that it's taking a toll on my relationship with God.. but this is a GREAT reminder that we need to be consistent in praying. Thanks Shannon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, isn't amazing what a difference one simple act can make?

      Delete
  10. This touches since I need the reminder that God is my weight lifter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, praying today that God lifts your every weight.

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!