Whiners (Not) Anonymous

Philippians 2:14 Do everything without complaining or arguing.

One of the sweetest times of my day is when we gather around the dinner table and I get to hear one of my dear family members pray. A few weeks ago during Rynne's (3) turn she was rockin' along thanking Jesus for her Mommy, Daddy, and Jesus, when all of the sudden I heard, "And thank you for Dora. Oh and thank you for Boots."

I smiled at her innocence. I mean really who thanks God for a cartoon character? Later that night, I could hear God nudging my heart and asking me why I never had taken the time to thank Him for Dora and Boots. Sometimes Dora and Boots provide me just enough minutes to finish my precious time with Jesus. Other days they give me thirty minutes to clean, straighten and cook uninterrupted. I guess I should be thanking God for Dora after all.

Today my reading is from 1 Corinthians 10:1-18. In this section, Paul outlines four sins committed by the Israelites when they had left Egypt and were wandering around in the desert.

  1. Idolatry (Verse 7)
  2. Sexual Immorality (Verse 8)
  3. Testing the Lord (Verse 9)
  4. Grumbling (Verse 10)

Personally a little "harmless" complaining does not seem on par with idol worship, sexual sin and challenging God. Yet the punishment issued in the wilderness was the same for each of these - death. Had I been God, I would have given the whiners the easy road. It's probably a good thing I'm not. He sees my bad attitude and ungrateful heart as the same as any other sin. He forgives me unconditionally and limitlessly regardless of how much grumbling I do.

Jesus, thank you for reminding me of the importance of a grateful heart. There are a hundreds of little blessings and many significant ones you pour out on me daily. Today I will choose to keep my eyes open and thank you for Dora and Boots and so many other ways You show your kindness and mercy toward me each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!