Lead him, Lord

1 Corinthians 11:3 Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ and the head of the women is man, and the head of Christ is God.

In January 2007, Scott came home from work one day excited to communicate to me his new vision for our family. He felt like we should sell our home and build a home in a neighboring community so we could attend the satellite location of a large church in Dallas called Prestonwood.

I was eight months pregnant with our fourth child, hormonal and exhausted. We had just relocated to Dallas from Florida three years prior and I saw no good reason we should make this move. After expressing my concerns to Scott, he was not dissuaded.

This left me with a choice. I could get on his page with a happy heart. I could move but secretly (or perhaps not so secretly) resent Scott and all the additional work he was flinging my direction. I could refuse to move and Scott likely would have acquiesced. I chose the first option. I have never regretted it, not even when we sold that house for a nearly $100,000 loss.

It was through the ministry of Prestonwood that Scott first recognized his spiritual gifts of leadership and administration. It was through Prestonwood that those gifts were utilized and developed. It was through Prestonwood that Scott was called into full-time vocational ministry.

Today I am studying 1 Corinthians 11:1-16. This is one of those prickly passages that makes me cringe when I read it. Not only does Paul state here that my husband is my leader (Verse 3) but he also says that I was created for him (Verse 8). I would love to just pass right over this section but I believe in a God who isn't surprised. I don't think God's in heaven shaking His head and lamenting to Himself, "Man, I really wish Paul hadn't written that."

If God meant what He said then I have am forced to consider what this means for my life. I know that I am full, complete and equal in Christ with my husband. However in this passage, even Jesus has an authority-God the Father. Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Clearly there are limits to Jesus' authority and there are even things the Father has not revealed to Him. If having a leader is good enough for Jesus, I'm thinking it's probably good enough for me.

I don't understand why God chose my husband, flawed and mortal, to be my head but I accept His plan. I know that He knows infinitely more about what is good for me than I do and I trust His goodness inherently. I do know that having a head means I don't have to lie awake at night and worry. I can rest knowing the final decision lies with my dear husband and that Jesus is leading him.

Jesus, thank you for providing for me even in ways I don't understand or necessarily agree with. I know You. I trust You. I believe that Your ways are always for my good. Today I choose to trust Your plan - that You designed Scott to lead our family. Lead him, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!