His Grace Catches Me

Psalm 37:23-24 If the LORD delights in a man’s way, he makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the LORD upholds him with his hand.

In the last five years my stilettos have become sneakers.  Life on the run with four kids is better navigated in practical footwear.  This day, however, was special.  I pulled out some three inch heels.  It was Easter Sunday.

Easter at the largest church in Memphis is packed.  People are everywhere.  Energy pulses through the air.  Jesus is risen!  His victory party causes all to smile and celebrate.

As I walked out to my car drinking in the excitement, I alternately smiled and sang under my breath.  I hummed those praises all the way down and stumbled and fell to concrete.  Those shoes looked great but caused an exit more humiliating than triumphant.

Today's passage is Mark 11.  It opens with Jesus arrival in Jerusalem.  He is greeted by shouts of praise and waves of palm branches, an event commonly referred to as the "Triumphal Entry".

I pondered that.  Was this truly Jesus' triumphal entry?  Was His greatest victory when the masses fell at His feet with homage.

His greatest victory walk would begin five days later down the Via del la Rosa.  This road led straight to the cross.  He walked to the backdrop of jeers not cheers.

The greatest moments of my life are not those when I receive laud.  They aren't when everything is going well and I have no worries.  The times of highest triumph are those of biggest trial.  It is when I fall that I fall on Christ.

His victory at the cross delivers the grace that catches me.  His moment of humiliation and anguish guarantees that I will never walk a difficult road alone.

Jesus, when I fall I fall on You.  Thank You for paying the price to guarantee Your arms of grace.  Your grace catches me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!