The Run to Deep Friendship



Run in such a way as to get the prize.
1 Corinthians 9:24


I bought a new pair of running shoes this morning for my distance training run in the morning. New running shoes thrill me because they cushion, propel and intensify my run. New running shoes are like old friends.


It is in the worn tread of life's journeys that friendships grow deep, strong and true. Instead of wearing out your sole, they invigorate your soul. But what if you're like me and you've moved frequently? What if life's circumstances have kept you busy? Is it too late to make old friends?


Anyone can deepen a new friendship into the comfort of years. We just need some new running shoes:


Cushion


Cushion the blows of life with the pillow of an understanding heart and a listening ear. Be the soft landing place when life knocks your friend off her feet. The security she will feel in your presence will nurture authenticity in your friendship.


Propel


Propel your friend to bigger dreams. Envision your friend crossing the finish line of her heart's unspoken desires. Be her biggest cheerleader. Move her forward with encouragement. The inspiration she will capture in your attitude will foster excitement in your relationship.


Intensify


Intensify your position as giver of grace. Allow your friend to fail without failing your friendship. Fertilize your relationship with a fresh dose of daily grace. The comfort she will experience in your mercy will grow sincerity in your friendship.


Today let's run to get the prize of friendship. The run may be long. We may experience some pain or thirst in the process but as we cushion, propel and intensify we will capture the satisfaction of deep friendship on our run.

8 comments:

  1. By frequently moving often friendship can't grow. But we have email and so on ;-) I live 16 years in the same house now. And have a good friendship. Two actually. But because we have a special family and household (autism/ADHD) it is difficult to give much time for friendship. Friendship is great. I love the comparison you make in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow 16 years in the same house! I can't imagine! You are so fortunate!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, Shannon. Friendship is complicated when we move around so much. I have a really good friend in California that I wish I could talk with more often. Unfortunately, there is a three hour time difference and her work/family schedule conflicts with mine, so we go months without talking. It's heartbreaking to both of us. I have local friends as well, but I'm still finding my place with them and building the trust that's so vital for any friendship to grow. :) Have a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sort of like my oldest sister and me. She works during the day and I have four kids at home at night. Schedules are crazy!

      Delete
  3. I like the way you can find depth in running shoes...it is so true, propel, cushion, intensify. Beautiful thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new pair of running shoes can do great things for your feet and your mind. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Shannon,
    Great post.........cause in this day of so many ladies working and being so busy it is difficult at least at my age, (just turned 60)
    to find friends who are available, that is why I love blogging so much, but we still need face to face friends.
    Hope you did well on your run and maybe made a new friend!! lol
    Blessings hon, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nellie, you are so right. Blogging is a great way to meet people. I have made some incredible friends through blogging!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!