No Greater Love

1 John 3:1a See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God.

It was a night I won't soon forget. As the warm ocean breeze tossed my hair, the salty scent of the ocean mixed with the savory fragrance of the beachfront restaurant to create an intoxicating atmosphere of contentment and anticipation. I was beginning to wonder if this man God had brought into my life might be His intended partner for me.

My thoughts were interrupted by the music of my loved one's voice. He murmured, "I have something I need to tell you." "I have fallen in love with your daughters but I don't want them to feel obligated to return the sentiment so I can't tell them until they tell me first." In a solitary instant my heart stopped and started. I knew in that precise moment the answer to my musings. Scott Milholland was indeed the love of my life.

This morning I am reading 1 John 3. This chapter scrutinizes what characterizes authentic Christian love. It far surpasses expectations (Verse 1) and proves its' sincerity with actions (Verses 16-18). Scott has substantiated his love for me and his daughters as genuine.
  • He Adopted Hannah and Hayleigh in Love (Verse 1) - While there is no official legal document certifying him as their daddy, Scott has chosen to love Hannah and Hayleigh without an ounce of restraint. In fact, anyone meeting our family for the first time just assumes that all four girls were born to Scott because of the tender yet impartial way he renders his love to our children. We know that God loves us because we are called children of God.
  • He Lays Down His Life for Them (Verse 16) - Almost no shadow remains of whom Scott was prior to giving his heart away to my girls. He has exchanged bravado for gentleness, golf for family time and his television programs for theirs. He willingly gave his life in order to maximize his life with us. We know that God loves us because He laid down his life for us.
  • He Meets Their Needs (Verse 17) - I have watched my dear husband eat peanuts and pretzels for lunch every day to pay for dreams of dance of cheer. I have witnessed Scott give up watching sports on the weekends to "date" his daughters. I have observed him wear clothes, both worn and tattered to buy a dress for a school dance. We know that God loves us because He always meets our needs.

No my husband isn't God but he is certainly a remarkable picture of the transforming power evident in a life surrendered to Jesus. I understand more clearly how vast God's love for me must be by seeing my husband's love in action.

Jesus, thank you for giving me and my oldest two daughters such an amazing man. Today help me love in the measure You've taught Scott to love. I want to love strangers like they are family. I want to love neighbors sacrificially. I want to love my community practically. I want to love like You, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!