Stop: In the Name of Love!

Psalm 141:3 Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.

I spent several hours last night in the emergency room with my dear husband who was having chest pains. A run followed by an intense workout led to low potassium which resulted in his heart seizing. His heart was issuing a warning signal that shouted, "Help. Stop. Slow Down."

Today's passage is 1 Peter 2. This chapter describes God's people as chosen, dear and belonging (Verses 9, 11). Our very lives are living stones in which God builds His chosen dwelling (Verse 5). Our hearts are home to the creator of the universe who holds the oceans in the palm of His hand and measures the nations as if they were mere dust (Isaiah 40:12-31). In Him there is incredible strength and power. Even the power to keep my mouth shut.

Later in this passage, Peter gives instruction as to how one should deal with the inevitable difficulties of life. He uses Christ as our example. For "when they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly." (Verse 23) There is a line in the movie, "You've Got Mail" that is so funny yet true. The main character, Kathleen Kelly, asks her online friend, "What should I say to the bottom-dweller who recently undermined my existence?" When someone insults myself or someone I love, my first reaction is to ask the very same question.

The anger and indignation I feel are warning signals similar to those Scott's heart gave him. I want to react to those warning signals by unleashing the full force of my fury. God wants me to speak not a word but entrust myself to His capable hands. When I feel those warning signs approach, I need to stop and let Him have control. This is possible because His vast love lives in me.

Thank you, Jesus, for warning signs. They signal the undetected condition of my heart. When I yield to them You are able to perform a heart transplant that seals my mouth with the power living in me. Today if someone causes me harm I choose to stop in the name of Love - Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. FYI: Scott's heart is fine and after a few days rest from his intense workout should fully recover from this episode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad everything is ok. Its never fun going to the ER, especially on a holiday! I love this Bible teaching blog...really blessed me today!:)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!