Hello My Name Is...

For those who know your name will trust in you,
for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.
Psalm 9:10


Right now I can hear her voice. Strains of "Glo-ooooooo-ria" intermixed with "Jesus is a Good Friend". I am often amazed how a single line of praise can keep Carynne singing for hours. Her song overflows from her heart - a well of kindness.


Her birthday is tomorrow and I'm not sure who's more excited. I delight in the opportunity to celebrate the gift she is to our family. When I asked her what she wanted to eat for her birthday dinner she quickly rattled off her choices:


Macaroni n Cheese with Sliced Hot Dogs
Pickle Spears
Roasted Cauliflower
Celery with Peanut Butter
Ice Cream


This group of foods are uniquely her. Few other almost five year old would select cauliflower or pickles. Some might select mac-n-cheese but likely not celery. Carynne is unafraid to express who she is.


Am I?


Almost every Wednesday I meet my mom friends at Chick-fil-a for lunch. The employees see us coming and know a bundle of kids, laughter and a touch of high maintenance is headed their way. As I place my own unique order, I usually feel my cheeks redden. I'm embarrassed to ask for two sunflower seeds and no croutons or an extra honey barbeque sauce. My request makes me feel like I'm asking too much, as if I'm wearing a giant name badge reading, "Hello...My Name is Demanding."


Fear of expressing myself stems from a desire to remain hidden. Unseen. To just blend in.


But God...


He wants me to hide only in Him, to trust in His name and to blend in with His grace.


Tomorrow we will sing the Happy Birthday song but it will be distinctly Carynne's because we will insert her name.


Today I will trust in His name. I will wear a name badge over my heart. It reads..."His".

23 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to the birthday girl!!
    Good luck on the marathon. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grandma Bonnie. Wish you were here to celebrate with us!

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't feel bad about making special requests. We're all unique individuals with different tastes, and a restaurant employee is there to serve you, not process you through a line. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwendolyn, and this is why I love Chick-fil-a - they always are so nice and accommodating!

      Delete
  3. I'm SO bad about not wanting to stand out. I very much dislike having to order 'different' things. I'm too shy for my own good (which is weird since I'm a teacher... and a blogger... and a sunday school teacher... and writer lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, have to admit I did lol! That sounds just like me. Why do I do that? Thank you God that you are our security and we can learn to rely on you more day by day!

      Delete
  4. Great post, thank you for sharing. I can totally relate to not wanting to feel like "too much."

    And happy birthday to your little girl!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audry. I'm looking forward to my pickles and ice cream...and not being pregnant! ha!

      Delete
  5. Just beautiful. It sounds like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. A beautiful daughter and a beautiful mom - all wrapped up in His glory. For He created you both unique and perfect in Him. Happy birthday to your beautiful little girl. Enjoy celebrating with her! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, Rosann, you always know how to encourage my heart. So thankful for you and your ministry!

      Delete
  6. ♫ Happy Birthday to you ♫ What a beautiful way to spend your Tuesday! I love that she likes cauliflower! Hotdogs in mac and cheese is the best! Shannon...you go a head and order whatever tickles your fancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful birthday celebration! (Though I did not partake of the mac-n-cheese!)

      Delete
  7. Hi Shannon,

    Happy birthday to your Carynne. Yes, be you too! :)

    I'd love that recipe for roasted cauliflower. It sounds yummy.

    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy and you can do it on broccoli too (or a mixture)

      Roasted Cauliflower:

      1 head cauliflower, chopped,
      1/4 olive oil
      1 tbl lemon juice
      2 cloves garlic
      Freshly ground sea salt and pepper to taste
      1/2 c shredded Parmesan

      Combine ingredients well. Spread cauliflower in single layer on baking sheet. Bake 400 20 minutes. Enjoy!

      Delete
  8. That's so sweet, and I'm so loving the 2 sun flower seeds. I need to go out to eat with y'all someday and you can see just how "Meg Ryan ordering" we are :)

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ingrid Bergman...now that's low maintenance. There's two kinds of women low maintenance and high maintenance.

      What kind am I?

      You're the worst kind. You think you're low maintenance but you're actually high maintenance.

      (Yes I just typed that scene from memory #lovewhenharrymetsally)

      Delete
  9. She sounds like my daughter resolved in the things she likes, and they are always unique items.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to Carynne! Up until my disability I had been in the service industry for over twenty years. Having to go the extra mile for that unique individual was the best parts of my job. I love the fact that God created each and every one of us in His own unique way, and want to see those qualities shine in a person! Hope your having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birhday to Carrynne! What a blessing this blog is to me.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, thank you so much for that sweet word of encouragement. You have no idea how thankful I am when uses my offering of words to touch another's heart.

      Delete
  12. I love this and it sounds like your Caryanne is a lot like my Ryan...makes life exciting! I enjoy you...just wanted u to know.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!