A Street Called Freedom

Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
Matthew 5:44


"You're a Meanie Geanie!" It was the ultimate insult hurled across the room when my brother and I were mad at each other. I don't even remember the three other names but I remember there were a total of four classifications for unacceptable sibling behavior. Meanie Geanie was reserved for the most despicable. 


Clearly I did not grow up in a house of fighters. We are stuffers. We are card carrying members of the Conflict Avoider Club. We sweep issues behind large pieces of furniture where they are safely hidden with dust bunnies and can't be seen or discussed. 


Whether we lock it under the key of our heart or blab about it on aisle three of the local supermarket, we all have stuff. Whether we avoid it like an IRS audit or post it proudly on our front door, we all have stuff. For me Meanie Geanie is a much more palatable label than enemy. But whatever you call it, decide to do something with it.


Pray for your enemies. Prayer is the door through which forgiveness walks.

I tweeted that this week. It is a lesson I've learned in the trenches of my life. There is someone in my life who has tortured me and my family financially, emotionally and legally. Nearly every interaction with this person leaves a another burn mark on the surface of my heart. If ever there were a Meanie Geanie...

In moments of quiet despair, I pray for God to make their work satisfying and prosperous.

In times of unbearable pain, I pray for their marriage to blossom and bring joy.

In seasons of bitterness, I pray for every spiritual blessing in Christ to pour out on their home.

These prayers first fall from a hypocrite's lips but they land on the heart of a Jesus lover. They open the door to forgiveness. Forgiveness brings the gift of freedom.

Freedom from despair, pain and bitterness.

Won't you join me? Pray for your enemies. Prayer is the door through which forgiveness walks. Forgiveness strolls on a street called Freedom.

16 comments:

  1. So beautifully written Shannon. Forgiveness is never easy, but in order to love as Christ loves, we must first forgive. Thanks for the lovely reminder. Have a great weekend!
    ~Rosann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosann. Love your tie between love and forgiveness. Indeed one is predicated on the other.

      Delete
  2. I think about this...and pray for this person anyway...the prayer we learned in prayer group, "Please shower them with happiness, grace, holiness and good health." I repeat it over and over. But it never really gets easy to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that forgiveness isn't easy but it is definitely worth it!

      Delete
  3. Shannon, I love your use of "stroll"... forgiveness finds freedom and they walk along together at a leisurely, peaceful pace. Jesus has forgiven so much, and now it's my turn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, indeed forgiveness dials our hearts and lives back a notch. Without the weight of bitterness, we have a peace-filled heart that wants to stop and smell the roses.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Amy. I heart your visit!

      Delete
  5. So well written! We were a family who stuffed and I have been able to see the damage that it does to a family first hand. After forgiving a certain family member I was able to resume a relationship that because of that persons ways was missing for almost 25yrs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Ross, what an incredible testimony to God's love and grace!

      Delete
  6. Forgiveness is a noble thing to do. It's difficult, yet has to be done. I wish I had the courage to do that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news is we all can since it's Him through us. Thankful for you today!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this lovely reminder. I came from a family of avoiders, too. The only good thing about avoidance is that it provides lots of good writing material in later years! As love leads to forgiveness, forgiveness also leads to healing in the heart of the one offering the forgiveness.
    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I missed this comment - so funny! Love the writing material!

      Delete
  8. It is so true that forgiveness is freeing. I had an experience recently where, when I was able to forgive, I could literally feel the anger leave my body and I was shocked at the difference it made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, that is so powerful! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!