Premeditated Love


As a man thinks within himself, so is he.
Proverbs 23:7


Premeditated. 


Premeditated murder carries the most severe penalties. Taking another's life in a spur-of-the-moment, unplanned action is deemed a much less egregious crime than thinking, planning and deciding in advance to do so. Likely none of us plan to ever kill another human but...


If looks could kill


If thoughts could destroy


If judgments could demolish


I'd be a murderer. 


What if instead we tried premeditated love? What if we thought, planned and decided in advance to love our spouses, children, friends and even strangers? I wrote about this yesterday at an online Bible study I lead for my church. How about hopping on over and reading about it: http://hopewomenonline.com/2012/07/living-free-week-one-day-two.html


(We just started a new session last Monday so if you've been looking for a way to get connected to other Christ-followers, this might be a great option for you.)

19 comments:

  1. What a great way to put it. I'm hopping over after commenting here.
    Yesterday, I planned premeditated love through my whole trying situation (except the private venting that I indulged). The person with whom I struggled was gracious and loving -- she appreciated my attempts at kindness. God wins whenever we try to love more and hurt less. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this "try to love more and hurt less"! Right on, sistah!

      Delete
  2. Wow, great way to put it... I'm guilty too of the looks, thoughts and judgments, now I need to work on the premeditated love piece. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a totally different way of thinking isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Dirty looks can make an impact and they really can be harmful. I think premeditated love is a wonderful way to help change the habit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so ironic. My mother has this scripture on her refrigerator, and I focus a lot on my thoughts. I can be vicious toward my own self, actually. So I think that this is awesome, because it reminds us not only to be loving in the way that we think, but loving toward ourselves so that we can shine that light onto others as well. Thanks so much for sharing. THis is wonderful. And confirmation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, this is a really cool perspective. For sure we are too hard on ourselves too often. Love that!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Pamela. Always glad when you visit here!

      Delete
  6. You always have such refreshing insight Shannon, and a great ability to put it into words!

    P.S. If you ever want to write up a Mr. Darcy tale, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Premeditated Love is such a wonderful concept. In a world which seems like it is consumed by hatred wouldn't premeditated love be an awesome movement?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i read this moments after I mumbled comments to my hubby in frustration. oh I so love the way you put this and the timing is just a reminder to me to slow down and breath.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!