Why Creation Matters

Isaiah 43:14,15 This is what the Lord says-your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: ...I am the Lord, your Holy One, Israel's Creator, your King.

Hannah (15) has obtained that coveted 2 1/2" x 3 1/2" piece of plastic that eventually spells F-R-E-E-D-O-M for today's teens. When Hannah first slid behind the wheel, I knew what I was supposed to feel. I was supposed to experience a mixture of dread and fear. Instead what I felt was an odd combination of excitement and peace.

I have actually dreaded revealing this fact far more than the driving instruction that has followed her acquisition. None of like to be outside acceptable norms. For parents, the acceptable norm is to not want your child to have the privilege of driving. The truth is Hannah has earned it. She has proven herself to be a young woman of character, sound decision making and solid faith. Does she falter? Of course. But far less than I did at fifteen I assure you.

What scares me more than the prospect of her driving is the content of her science textbooks. This is yet another revelation I dread making. I was a biology major and even though I attended a "Christian" university I was thoroughly indoctrinated with the belief that although there was a God, He could have only used the vehicle of evolution to bring about the species. This thought is prevalent in society today. Evolution is not a theory. It is a fact. Anyone who differs with the "facts" of evolution is considered a moron. I suppose I'm throwing myself headlong into the lot with the morons because I take God at His word that He spoke all creation into existence.

Today's passage is Revelation 14. The prophetic events of this book continue to unfold. Here there are three angels: one who proclaims God's truth, one who declares judgment on "Babylon", and one who details the consequences of following another than the one true God. Note how the first angel describes God. "Fear God and give him glory...Worship him who made the heavens, the earth, the sea and the springs of water." (Verse 7)

Perhaps you are where I once was and not convinced that it matters whether God is Creator or just your Redeemer through Christ.
  • For in him (Jesus) all things were created (1 Corinthians 1:16)

  • You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things (Revelation 4:11)

  • For it is by grace you have been saved...created in Christ Jesus (Ephesians 2:8, 10)

Jesus created all things. He is not just Savior. He is both Creator and Savior. He can not be one if He is not the other.

Jesus, I was created to have a relationship with You. You are worthy of all praise, honor and glory because You are both Creator and Redeemer. Today as I drink in the wonders of Your creation, I will remember that every leaf and breeze has been sent by You to draw all mankind to Your heart. You are my creator. You are my savior. You are my friend.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry Shannon- I'll be weird right there with you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kimberly. I love weird friends. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!