Action Jackson...or Milholland as the Case May Be

James 2:21-22 Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.

My husband and I have somewhat divergent spiritual gifts. While I know I don't want to fall into the trap of actually envying someone else's gifts, it is thrilling to watch God use someone who has different gifts than me. Scott has incredible leadership backed by stalwart faith. He is confident in his relationship with the Lord, consults Him daily with the concerns of His life and then boldly moves forward with whatever God is leading him to do.

This morning, I begin the adventure of a new book of the Bible - Acts. I am reading the first chapter today, which first describes Jesus ascension into heaven (Verses 1-11) and then the selection of a new apostle to take the place of Judas Iscariot who had betrayed Jesus (Verses 12-26). It is the combination of earnest prayer coupled with faith-filled action during this selection process that most strikes me.

Verse 14 states that they joined constantly in prayer. While I'm not familiar with every church in America, I have yet to associate with one that meets the description constantly. Occasionally - perhaps. Rarely - more likely. This was the very first thing the new testament church did after Jesus ascended but it seems more like a last resort or after thought in American churches today. Shannon, when making decisions you need to pray more.

By the end of the chapter, they have proposed two names as potential replacements for Judas, Barsabbas and Matthias. They prayed for God's revelation, trusted Him to give it (Verses 24-25) and then proceeded to make a decision (Verse 26). At times, I find myself waiting on God to absolutely sky-write an answer before I will proceed. Many times throughout God's Word is a contrasting example of faith-powered action. Shannon, when making decisions after you've prayed for my revelation, you need to move forward empowered with faith.

Today, Jesus, I will find at least one friend to join with in corporate prayer, I will pray before I act and then I will act once I have prayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!