Looking Doubt in the Eye

Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

I have come to believe that a lie detector test should be administered with the wedding vows. Innumerable people have expressed to me that they knew they were making a mistake when they married their former spouse. In my case, marrying Scott Milholland is the best decision other than choosing to walk with Christ I've ever made, but marrying my first husband was not a super great choice. Like many others I know, when I said "I do", I should have been saying, "I don't". Perhaps sandwiched in between the lighting of the unity candle and the pronouncement could be an FBI interrogation to determine the true intent of each party. All joking aside, I pray daily for my four daughters and their future spouses to enter into a covenant marriage based on the assurance of Jesus Christ and not the faulty foundation of uncertainty.

This morning I am reading John 19:23-42. This passage chronicles the period of time from Jesus' crucifixion to His burial. It is not possible for me to read this and not be reminded of Jesus' great love that held Him on cross as He died in my place for my sin. Today I am also inspired by just how much Jesus wants each person to believe and be certain of their faith. In Verse 24 and then again in Verses 33- 36, John relates an incident and then proclaims, "This/These things happened so that the scripture would be fulfilled...."

In the Old Testament there are many passages (Micah 5:1-2, Isaiah 53, Psalm 22, etc.) that give very specific predictions about details surrounding the life of the coming Messiah. John was certain to point out some of these particulars fulfilled during the death of Christ. Jesus doesn't want me to believe in Him blindly, but rather based on real evidence that I believe with my head as well as my heart.

To this day, there are moments when I am tempted to allow thoughts of doubt fill my mind. These times of temptation often come while spending time reading the Bible, worshipping Jesus through music, or when facing an assignment from God that I feel completely unqualified to do. I can almost feel God pour His love into my heart this morning with these passages. God has given me a very specific answer to the pull of a questioning heart. I can face my doubt head on and say, "I KNOW Jesus is the Christ because ________________" and insert any one of the hundreds of Old Testament prophecies that the life of Jesus fulfilled.

Jesus, thank you for loving me so much that you wanted me to be absolutely certain of my decision to invest my life in following you and developing a relationship with you. You are so kind, gracious and loving. Today, I will face my doubts head-on with the truth of Your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!