Action Overcomes Distraction

Hebrews 12:1b Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

I am by nature a stream of consciousness thinker, talker and doer which means that one thought, phrase or action flows into the next seamlessly in my mind even though they may be completely unrelated. When I entered adulthood and assumed the responsibility for cleaning my little apartment, this became very apparent to me. A typical day of cleaning for me might have gone something like this. I would begin a task such as vacuuming only to vacuum into the corner where I saw some dust on the baseboard. I would abandon vacuuming in favor of dusting the baseboards only to round a corner and see a spot on the tile. I would begin to mop the kitchen floor only to notice some dishes on the counter that needed to be washed... You can imagine my cleaning routine was not very effective because I never finished projects, only started them.

This morning I am reading Acts 6. This chapter opens with Jewish Christians of Greek origin complaining to that their widows were not receiving food during the daily distribution (Verse 1). This no doubt was a very real issue. Churches and groups of Christians gathered in any setting today also have genuine concerns that arise. Additionally, problems arise frequently in Christian families. How can I keep an issue from turning into a distraction used by Satan to derail Christian fellowship, unity and effectiveness?
  • Stay Focused on My Calling (Verse 2) - When this complaint made its way up the chain of command and was finally heard by the apostles, they responded by affirming their dedication to the call to teach the Word. When interruptions come my way, I too need to stay focused on what God has called me to do. This will require that I...
  • Find an Immediate Solution (Verse 3) - The apostles acted quickly by suggesting an answer to the problem. They proposed delegating the overseeing of food distribution to seven men who are "full of the Spirit and wisdom". This met with the enthusiastic approval of those gathered (Verse 5). When facing a potential challenge, I need to rely on God's wisdom and act quickly before the challenge becomes a distraction.

The apostles refused to be drawn away from God's purpose for their lives. As a result, "the word of God spread. The number of disciples in Jerusalem increased rapidly, and a large number of priests became obedient to the faith." (Verse 7) Personally, I'd settle for just positively impacting the lives of my husband and four kids today, getting some laundry done, getting my workout in and managing to keep my home straight. This will require me to have the same level of resolve and commitment to my calling in my life as the apostles had in theirs.

This day will most likely be a typical day for a busy wife and mother of four. I will face many potential distractions. Sweet Jesus, today I will remain focused on Your calling in my life and act with immediate solutions to prevent issues from mushrooming into distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!