Makin' a List and Checkin' it Twice

1 Corinthians 13:5 Love keeps no record of wrongs.

One afternoon I happened upon one of my sweet darling little blessings who had just finished finger nail painting her room. Toys, shelves and walls were now accented with bright blue patches of finger nail polish. My initial thought was to lock said child in her room until her 18th birthday but after a few deep breaths I decided to talk with her about her new found art skills.

Our ensuing conversation went something like this:
Me: "Why did you paint your room, Honey?"
Child: "I'm mad at you."
Me: "Why are you mad?"
Child: "I can't remember but I know that I'm really mad."

Today's passage is Hebrews 10. This chapter continues to expound on the theme of Jesus' sacrifice for all mankind's sin. God's ultimate demonstration of love was dying a cruel death in our place. In fact, this chapter reminds us that God does not even recall our sin once He has forgiven it. Why is it then that I am so good at remembering? I can conjure up the most insignificant details of not only my own past sin but also those times I have been wronged by certain others.

Love keeps no record of wrong. Love does not make a list. Love doesn't check it twice. Love believes God. He is able to forgive me. He is able to help me forgive others. He will deal most sufficiently with those who've wronged me. (Verses 30-31)

Jesus, this Christmas I'm tearing up my lists. All the lists of past regrets, failures and hurts. I'm going to sling them past my stocking to the fire that shines underneath. There even lists written in blue fingernail polish don't stand a chance of survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!