Distracted Driving


Whether you turn to the right or the left, 
your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 
"This is the way; walk in it."
Isaiah 30:21

With four kids, no cell phone is required to ensure I am a distracted driver. Even on the rare occasion I'm alone in the car, I tend to be distracted. 

I order and eat fast food.

I get drive through coffee.

I apply cuticle oil to my nails.

I file my nails.

I brush my hair.

I apply makeup.

Yes. I am that driver. 

I was driving along this morning programming the GPS, fixing my pony tail and retrieving something from the floor board when it occurred to me the car isn't the only place in my life where distracted driving plagues me. 

I lose spiritual focus just as easily.

God whispers the way but His voice gets drowned out by the honking of the urgent. Have you ever arrived at your destination with no recollection of the trip that got you there? It is just as easy to begin making turns in life and wonder how you ended up at your particular destination.

If I don't want to meander through life spiritually, I need to eliminate some distractions. 

No Makeup Required - I need to stop covering my blemishes with makeup on the drive of life. Humility goes a long way toward hearing God's quiet whispers. When I readily admit my shortcomings, He shortens the path of coming to Him. (You might want to tweet that! --> http://clicktotweet.com/4U7TI)

Put Down the Hair Brush - Sometimes I try to tug until I work out my own knots. Working in my strength bullhorns the voice of God but relying totally on Him clears communication. I need to put down the hair brush and lean on Him to work out the knots in my life.

No More Drive Through - Just as fast food is rarely the best choice for my body, a fast-paced life is not the best choice for my spirit. I need to slow down to hear God's voice. When I move at His pace, I regain spiritual focus.

I don't want to swerve around to the left or the right. I want to hear the whisper of the One who knows the way. This is the way...walk (or drive) in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!