True Friends Make Me Truly Thankful


Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself.
1 Samuel 18:1

I'm penning this post at 3:00 am. Whenever I'm up in the middle of the night like this I think about crises even if I'm not having one. I ponder whom I could call if I needed someone to come stay with my kids if I had to rush to the hospital. I contemplate who would be first to volunteer their help if Scott's cancer returned. I wonder who loves me enough to gently unveil the current growth opportunities in my life.

Most of us have very few people we could count in those categories but friends like these - true friends - are absolutely essential for our emotional well-being. Forging deep friendship was my second to last step on my journey to emotional health

Because I moved around frequently both as a child and an adult, it's been difficult for me to foster lasting, meaningful relationships. It seemed like too much investment for a short time period and it was easier to guard my heart than risk getting heart. But I wasn't well until I had heartfelt friends with whom I could share my faults, failures and finer features. I, like all of us, needed people to know the authentic me.

...The one who's really a kid at heart.

...The one with a quick but albeit not always appropriate comeback.

...The one who enjoys working nerdy logic problems.

Today, among so many other blessings, I am thankful for true friends. You have taught me about myself. You have been God's healing hands. You have stood by me through extraordinary circumstances, mood swings and moves.

For you I am truly thankful. Happy Thanksgiving to you! Whom are you thankful for today?

1 comment:

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!