Until We All Come Home


Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: 
to look after orphans and widows in their distress.
James 1:27

My heart beat wildly in my chest while I waited to reply. Seconds ticked off as hours as we inched toward the home I shared with two precious beauties, 4 and 7. He had an important question to ask them.

As he took their tiny hands in his, I could see his love reflected in their eyes. I still remember the day he shared his secret with me. He had fallen in love with my daughters. Now, finally, he could openly declare his love.

"Will you be my daughters?"

A chorus of yes echoed around the room as they rejoiced. Tiny feet danced and celebrated. My heart joined their rhythm. There was no way I'd refuse his proposal. We would become a family.

We made room in our hearts for each other and soon welcomed two more daughters. But to my husband, Scott, there's no distinction. He prayed for all four of our kids. God chose two different delivery methods and both made a direct hit in his heart.

While my husband and I have never had the privilege of adoption, we both imagine this is what adoptive parents experience - a supernatural love for your child delivered to you whatever delivery method God uses. I recently read Until We All Come Home by Kim De Blecourt. In it she recounts an amazing, God-led journey to adopt her son from Ukraine. 

As I read this book, I was called again to the heart of God. God has deep, abiding, love for those overlooked in our world. He wants us to have the same.

I know this because when I read or study God's word, I take special note of phrases or themes that frequent the pages of God's story. His love for orphans lines hundreds. 

God may not have called all of us to be the one to go and literally rescue the fatherless but He desires all of us to be a part of heart's work. I'd like to recommend to each of you to read this book. While you do so, ask God what role He's asking you to play in reaching out to parentless children.

Does He want you to pray?
Does He want you to give?
Does He want you to serve?
Does He want you to rescue?

What will you do...until they all come home?
_____________________________

Today I am giving away a copy of Until We All Come Home. Entering is easy - just leave a comment below and tell who you'd like to win a copy for and why.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to win a copy for my brother and his wife. They adopted six children out of the foster care system. It has not always been an easy road for them, but they love their children with all their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to win a copy. My heart aches for these children, and I have been praying about this for months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this post!? This year God has impressed his love for his adopted children on my heart and his desire for us to mirror it to the world! Asking, how do I join in loving like you God, has taken me places I never expected! The more I love my Father the more I love the fatherless, amazing! Sounds like an amazing book!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!