Incredible Credulity

Luke 1:45 Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished.

It was this time of year nearly thirty-one years ago that I sat at a table with seven other girls, vehemently defending my family's honor. The girls at this gathering had made the most absurd accusation. "There is no such thing as the Easter Bunny", they naively claimed. I had been far better educated than they. I had two parents and three older siblings who had given me explanations in great detail as to the exact mechanism the Easter Bunny used during his deliveries. Foolishly, I had taken each of them at their word.

On the official schedule, I am to be moving on John 5:1-24 this morning, but God has me on a different timetable. There is a miracle at the end of the fourth chapter of John, where my heart longs to linger for just a few moments first. Here is a brief recounting of what happened:
  • Jesus finds his way back to Cana (where he turned the water into wine at the wedding). There he is approached by a royal official whose son was gravely ill in a town some distance away. He begs Jesus to come to that town and heal his son. Verses 46-49)
  • Instead, Jesus just gives this gentleman the assurance that his son will live. This man believes Jesus and procedes to return home. (Verse 50)
  • The next day as he is still traveling, he is greeted by some of his servants who report that his son is well. Not only that, but this man realizes that his son was healed at the exact moment that Jesus promised him that his son would live! (Verses 51-53)
  • He and all his family realize that Jesus is Son of God and choose to believe. (Verse 53)

In this story, the official "took Jesus at his word" (Verse 50) and then believed (Verse 53). For me and likely many reading this blog, I have already chosen to let Jesus have the wheel on the road of my life. The question for me is, have I taken Jesus at His word? What even should I be taking him at his word for, I ponder? There are thousands of promises in God's Word, but today I'm going to focus my heart on just nine of them.

  1. He will never leave or abandon me - Hebrews 13:5
  2. He will raise a harvest of righteousness, if I sow peace in my home - James 3:18
  3. He will exchange my anxiety for His peace if I'll just talk to Him - Philippians 4:6-7
  4. He will meet my all my needs (physical, emotional, social, spiritual) - Philippians 4:19
  5. He will forgive my sins when I admit them to Him - 1 John 1:9
  6. He will use the difficulties of today to make me more like Him tomorrow - Romans 8:28-29
  7. He will become more apparent in my life if I draw closer to Him - James 4:8
  8. He will finish what he starts in my life - Philippians 1:6
  9. He will equip me to do what he calls me to do - 1 Thessalonians 5:24

Unlike my family's extravagant explanations concerning Senor Rabbit, Jesus can be taken at His word. May my heart believe Your truth today and my life reflect the joy that comes from trusting even one of your promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!