O What a Beautiful Morning

James 1:19 Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

Each of my children wakes up differently but Rynnie (3) doesn't really wake up so much as "sleep up". Her morning greeting is more of a transition from horizontal to vertical sleep and then a slow transformation into the world of the coherent. Her favorite thing to do upon rising is to crawl in my lap so tightly even her arms are tucked in, and allow me to rub her back while she gradually welcomes her day. She rarely speaks during our time together but listens intently to everything I say to her. She radiates warmth and love in a way that makes it absolutely impossible for you to do anything but join her in her state of genuine satisfaction.

Today I am reading Luke 23:1-25 where Jesus' appearances before the local governmental authorities, Pilate and Herod, are recorded. I find the recounting of Jesus' time with Herod the most fascinating. It is only in the gospel of Luke where this interchange is recorded in which Jesus' responses remind me a great deal of the attributes in my Rynnie which I admire the most.

In verse 8, the scene opens with Herod looking forward to meeting with Jesus. No doubt Jesus' fame had made him a topic of conversation even among nobles, because Herod was familiar with his miracles and anticipated seeing some of them for himself. I imagine Herod's frustration and disappointment grew by the moment as he met with him, because he peppered Jesus with questions, yet heard no response (Verse 9). Not only had Jesus not displayed his miraculous wonders, he had demonstrated zero interest in even defending himself or imparting wisdom. During the entire episode Jesus listens respectively, never speaks and refuses to respond in anger.

I want to greet my day today like Jesus and Rynnie. I want to focus on helping other people engage their talents, instead of flaunting my own. I want to seek to listen, instead of insisting on being heard. I want to radiate love, instead of tearing others down in anger. Jesus, let me ease into my every day wrapped up in you with my arms tucked in tight, listening to you alone and letting your love radiate onto me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!