Texas: Famous for More than Just Cowboys?

Psalm 84:1 How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty!

Do you ever wonder if your kids are really listening to you? I certainly do. This most recent Easter was the first that Scott and I really attempted to explain the true meaning of the holiday to our four-year-old, Clara. Our efforts were rewarded when her preschool teacher commented on how she knew almost every part of the story. We proudly listened as her teacher recounted all the correct responses she had given to various inquiries. Then the final question came. "What happened after they put Jesus in the cave?", her teacher asked. Clara piped up immediately with, "He came back to life and now he lives in Texas!". I just knew I would forget to pack something when we moved!

Today's scripture is the 2nd chapter of John. The first half relates the story of Jesus' first recorded miraculous sign, turning the water into wine at a wedding. After a brief stop which records a visit of Jesus with his family, John then picks up his account as Jesus goes to Jerusalem for celebration of the Jewish Passover. When Jesus arrives, he heads almost immediately to the temple where to his dismay he finds many people profiting from the sale of items used in the various prescribed Jewish rituals (Verses 13 and 14). Incited by the scene, Jesus drives both the merchandisers and their wares from the temple grounds (Verses 15-16). Jesus' disciples notice the connection between Jesus actions and a prophesy found in the Old Testament book of Psalms: Zeal for your house will consume me (Psalm 69:9).

What our precious Clara has yet to realize is that Jesus no longer lives in a city, state or country. He lives instead in all who have called on His name (John 1:12). There has been more than one occasion in my life when I thought it would be quite an accomplishment to have a man completely consumed with me. Who knew One already was! I looked up zeal on dictionary.com and found this definition:

fervor for a person, cause or object; eager desire or endeavor; enthusiastic diligence; ardor

Whew. Those are some overwhelming words. Can we really comprehend how much Jesus loves us? He is wrought with fervor, eagerness, desire, enthusiasm and ardor. When I read that I wonder how I could ever find myself at lack for anything. Jesus, today may my heart beat even half as wildly with excitement over spending the day with you as yours does over me, your dwelling place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!