Do You Know My Name?

My name is Shannon Milholland but most often I answer to Sharon Mulholland.  In fact, Sharon Mulholland has even been recorded into the official minutes of many a meeting.  I have long since given up the fight to be called by my correct name.  It seems no one knows what it is.

Today's passage is Matthew 9.  As Jesus moves from town to town, He brings the blessings of health, restoration and life to many.  In this chapter we find one of my favorite Bible characters.  I have always been drawn to the women in Scripture about whom an incident is recounted but their name is withheld.  They become a nameless woman representing the condition of all of us.

This woman had a major problem.  She had been bleeding in the female sense for twelve straight years.  In Jewish society, this would have made her untouchable - unfit to marry or even worship at the temple.  She bore a name but not one she desired.  She was branded "outcast", "unwanted" and "unworthy". 

Having drained her assets in pursuit of a cure, she was desperate to be made whole.  She had heard of Jesus that He had the power to heal and thought to herself that if she could just touch the hem of His garment she would be well.  She pressed her way through the crushing throng and as she brushed him, she was instantly healed.

What she didn't know was that she would receive more than physical healing.  Jesus turned to look at her.  I wonder how long it had been since someone had truly noticed her or taken the time to learn her name.  Jesus didn't just heal her; He gave her a new name.  He called her Daughter.  Gone was the shameful names she'd carried far too long.  He had healed her soul.

Jesus, if I think about it the real reason it bothers me that people call me the wrong name is because it means they don't really see me.  But You see.  You have erased every ugly title I have given myself and now You call me Daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!