Developing A Beautiful Mind

Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace (her) whose mind is steadfast because (she) trusts in you.

Yesterday I spent the afternoon with a sweet girlfriend getting a manicure and pedicure. After an hour of exfoliating, trimming, massaging and painting, I was sitting under the dryer. As I relaxed, I suddenly realized that Christmas music was playing over the loudspeaker. This is definitely not something you typically hear on July 11th.

There was no words, only Kenny G on his saxophone belting out "What Child is This?" The shop owner probably didn't even realize this beautiful tune was a Christmas song. As I enjoyed the lovely strain, I pondered how often in my own life I misinterpret something because I don't have all the information.

Today I read Acts 16:22-40. Once again Paul finds himself in jail. Around midnight, he and Silas are raising their voices in songs of praise to God. It likely wasn't Kenny G but was no less beautiful in the ear of God. Out of nowhere an earthquake shakes the prison so violently that the door to the jail bursts open and the prisoners are released from their shackles.

The shocks are strong enough to wake the jailer and when he sees the prison doors open, he raises his sword to take his own life rather than face the consequences of escaped prisoners. Paul calls out to not harm himself because not one had fled the jail. Immediately the jailer realizes that he had completely misinterpreted what he'd seen. Overcome with gratitude, he asks Paul how he can be saved. Obviously Paul is all too eager to tell him and a wonderful morning of salvation and celebration is the result.

I am a lot like the jailer. I see something, interpret it and act assuming my interpretation is correct. When I do that, I live out of assumption instead of reality. Here is a couple of those kinds of situations that happen to me:
  • Scenario: My friend walks by and I speak to her. She doesn't respond. Assumption: She's mad at you. You must have done something wrong and should spend the rest of the day trying to figure out what you've done so you can make it right. Reality: My friend still likes me. I've done nothing wrong. She just didn't hear me.

  • Scenario: I cook dinner for my husband and he doesn't rave about it. Assumption: He doesn't like this dinner. Maybe I shouldn't cook it anymore. I can't believe I spent all this time cooking a dinner he doesn't even like. Reality: My husband loves the dinner. He's had a long day at work and is just decompressing while very much enjoying the dinner I cooked.

Jesus is the hidden key that unlocks the door to reality. Just as the message of His birth was hidden in the song from the shop owner, His peace can remain hidden from me when I misinterpret what I see around me. Philippians 4:6-7 is an often quoted verse about peace. It tells us to not be anxious, but instead pray about everything and then God will give us His peace. So often we don't read the next verse though. Philippians 4:8 tells us to think about things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. I think this is because God knows if I'll just think about the right things, I'll never lack peace to begin with.

For me, I could probably just stop at whatever things are true. When my friend doesn't speak to me or my husband fails to compliment my meal, I can train my mind to think about what's true. The truth is my friend is kind and loves me enough that if I'd done something wrong she'd just have told me, not snubbed me. The truth is my husband loves my cooking and is very forthright when he doesn't particularly care for something. If he didn't like it, he would just tell me.

Jesus, today help me to focus on what is true. Instead of allowing my mind to become consumed with things that are incorrect interpretations based on my limited sight, let my mind be consumed with thoughts of You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!