Shoot the Fireworks - We've Got Something to Celebrate!

Acts 10:34b-35 God does not show favoritism but accepts (women) from every nation who fear him and do what is right.

It will soon be Independence Day and I can't wait. I like watermelon, cookouts, fireworks, parades and even the color scheme. Who doesn't look fabulous dressed in red, white and blue? There is one Independence Day memory that I will always treasure. Four years ago, we celebrated the Fourth of July in Colorado. We drove from the horse ranch where we were staying to a nearby town to watch the fireworks display. In great anticipation, we arrived early and stationed ourselves at the best possible viewing post.

As the hours passed, the uncles led the kids in an impromptu game of baseball. This was followed by a concert of Christmas carols sung by us all and led enthusiastically by one of my nephews. As people passed with quizzical expressions on their face, my heart smiled. My sweet family had managed to turn a celebration of Independence into a celebration of Dependence. For that first Christmas night, the Creator of the Universe became the most dependent of humans, a baby. And this happened, so that we in turn might become dependent on Him.

Today, my reading is from Acts 10:24-48. A Gentile, Cornelius, has sent for Peter as instructed four days earlier by an angel. Peter arrives after having had his own instruction from the Lord that nothing is impure that God has made clean. Peter begins to deliver an inspiring message and as he does, the Holy Spirit falls on who are gathered there. God's grace has been extended from the Jews to the Samaritans and now to the Gentiles. Unspeakable joy fills my heart at the thought.

This is a day we ought to celebrate. That God reached down through history and carved a path straight to me, a simple Gentile girl, is a wonder and a delight. The beauty of God's perfect love is more awe-inspiring than the most dramatic fireworks show. The savor of God's expansive grace is more satisfying than any cookout.

Thank you, Jesus, for providing through Your sacrifice a way for me to be totally dependent on You. Today my heart will celebrate Dependence Day. It is a day set aside in my soul to thank You for the privilege of your friendship, for the promise of Your presence and for the provision of Your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!