Help Wanted?

Psalm 24:1 The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world and all who live in it.

Hannah (14) is by far the most precocious of all my children. She was not yet five the first time she asked me where babies came from. Thankfully, I had read some books on discussing the "birds and bees" with your children and I knew that you don't give them more information than they are actually seeking. I simply responded by telling her, "When a man and woman love each other, they get married. After that, God blesses their marriage and puts a baby in the wife's tummy."

I was hopeful this answer would pacify her for a minimum of a decade so I was quite disappointed when just a few months later she came back for more information. One day she scoots up to me and says, "Mommy, remember when you told me that God blesses the mommy and daddy and puts a baby in the mommy's tummy?". I mutter, "Uh huh", consumed with dread. Hannah cocked her head to the left and confidently inquired, "Well doesn't God need a little help?"

This morning I am reading Acts 17:16-34. Paul has gone to Athens while Silas and Timothy have stayed behind in Berea. Even without his companions, Paul continues to dedicate himself to the task of telling the people there about Jesus. After some time, Paul is invited to speak in front of the Areopagus, which was the highest judicial and legislative council in ancient Athens.

During his time there, Paul had noticed that Athens was full of statues and idols to various gods. There was even an altar to "an unknown god". Paul uses that as his platform and describes the unknown to them but one and only true God this way:
  • He is our creator (Verse 24)

  • He does not live in temples made by hands (Verse 24)

  • He is not served by human hands (Verse 25)

  • He gives all men life, breath and everything (Verse 25)

  • He created all people from one man (Verse 26)

  • He determined exactly where and when each person would live (Verse 26)

So often I get it in my head that God needs my help, as if He's standing in heaven holding a heavenly "Help Wanted" sign. This rears it's ugly head in a number of ways such as when I pray about something while subtly attempting to manipulate my circumstances to "help God along". Or when I feel like I absolutely must say "yes" to every opportunity in the church that comes my way because I think God could not possibly minister without me. Something tells me Hannah's apple didn't drop too far from my tree.

Paul goes on in Verse 27 to tell the Athenians that God did all of that so that men would seek him. God has a very narrow focus - He wants a relationship with every person He created. Just in case any thick-headed people like me were in the audience, Paul also told them that it is in God that we live, move and have our being (Verse 28). He is everything I need and the answer to all my "Help Wanted" needs. He already has everything He needs - He owns no "Help Wanted" signs.

Jesus, thank you for being all that I need. Today, You've made it so clear that You don't need my help but instead offer me the privilege of being a vessel through whom You choose to work. This day may I live, move and have my being in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!