If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say...

Psalm 141:3 Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips.

Yesterday I was typing a text to one of my daughters about another daughter. I meant to type what a great big sister she was but instead typed what a great bug sister she was. This wouldn't have been nearly as funny to us if this had not been the same daughter to whom I accidentally responded, "Yes it does" instead of "No it doesn't" last year when she asked if her hair looked bad. Chalk this up to another "encouraging" mom moment on my tally sheet! This amusing little incident did cause me to stop and ponder though how my kids, husband, family and friends would be impacted if I only ever spoke words of encouragement to them.

This morning Acts 13:1-25 is my reading. As Saul and Barnabas mark their one year anniversary in Antioch, our passage opens. Through prayer, fasting and worship, the church receives a word from the Holy Spirit that is it time for them to ship off to their next God-given assignment. Their journey from Antioch to Pisidian Antioch is journalled with stops in Cyprus, Paphos and Perga. For those of you with maps in the back of your Bible, you'll find this labelled as "Paul's First Missionary Journey" (Verses 1-14).

Upon arrival in Pisidian Antioch, Saul (from now on called Paul) and Barnabas make a beeline for the temple. Their entrance is greeted with an invitation that ought to be extended more often, "Brothers, if you have a message of encouragement for the people, please speak." (Verse 15) Paul gives them the ultimate message of encouragement, by beginning to mount his argument that Jesus is indeed the Messiah (Verses 16-25). Before my reading for the day comes to a close, Paul has described the Old Testament king, David, as a man after God's own heart.

Of the many ways people are described in the Bible, I have always found this description of David the most complimentary. How my heart would leap for joy if I could authentically be described as a woman after God's own heart. If you have a message of encouragement...
  • Don't let it be drowned out by language unfitting for a Christian (Ephesians 5:4)
  • Don't let it be shrouded in a veil of truth without love (Ephesians 4:15)
  • Don't let it be hidden by grumbling and complaining (Philippians 2:14)
  • Don't let it be lost among careless and reckless words (Matthew 12:36 , Proverbs 12:18)

The truth about Jesus, His principles and His life applications is the ultimate message of encouragement. Jesus, through me or any of us, can shine hope into the bleakest of outlooks. Proverbs 18:21 says the tongue has the power of life and death. I want my words to be life-giving words of encouragement.

Today, Jesus, I will be a woman after your own heart by speaking words that echo Your very heart - words of encouragement. Set a guard over my mouth and heart so no careless word or rotten attitude, mumbles my message. This day I will offer my little world nothing but mouth-to-ear resuscitation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!