Who Did That?

Psalm 9:1 I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.

Out of our four kids, it seems like we have two of everything. We have two who sleep in and two who are early risers. There's two who are assertive and two who are more timid. You'll even observe we have two brunettes and two blonds. The interesting thing is none of the sets of two mentioned, are the same sets of two. Each child has an individual set of interests, giftings and qualities that will uniquely qualify her to be a godly woman of great purpose.

This morning, my scheduled reading is the 12th chapter of Acts. This chapter is a contrast of two men's character. One who only lauds himself and one who gives all praise and glory to God. As the chapter opens, we find King Herod persecuting the church. He has the apostle James put to death and imprisons Peter with the intention of executing him after the Passover (Verses 1-4). As the church earnestly intercedes, an angel appears to Peter in jail, frees him and lead him safely out of the prison (Verses 5-10).

Peter goes straight away to the house where he knew the Christians had gathered to pray for him. When he arrives, he can't wait to tell them all how the Lord rescued him from prison. His sole focus was on the Lord and giving Him all the praise for His intervention in his life. Herod is greatly disturbed by Peter's escape and had all sixteen men who guarded Peter executed (Verses 11-19).

Herod then travels to Caesarea to settle a dispute with the local residents there. After addressing the people, they don him a god, a title which Herod readily accepts. Herod is focused entirely on himself. Because Herod lauded himself rather then God, he was struck dead (Verses 20-23).

My inclination is to assume that I have more in common with Peter than Herod. If I pause though, I may find that's not the case.
  • When my children accomplish something, do see this as a reflection of Christ or me?
  • When I talk to family and friends, is what Jesus doing or what I'm doing my first topic that springs to mind?

Among all the sets of two in my home, may Jesus be the thread that joins our hearts, lives and conversation. Today, Jesus, I will make you the recipient of the credit for every good thing in my life. You alone are worthy to be praised.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!