Beyond Packages and Bows

1 Samuel 16:7b The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.

The other morning I was on a run with my sweet friend, Brenda. As we ran, we compared progress on our Christmas shopping and strategized what presents should complete our 2010 shopping lists. Brenda asserted that children should not be given necessities as presents. While I agree with this thought in theory, I must admit I tend too often toward the practical.

Hayleigh (soon 12) would definitely agree with that assessment. When Hayleigh turned six, her birthday presents were housed in boxes nearly as big as she. She ripped the wrapping off the first as folds of fabric peaked out from the box. She squealed with delight and she exclaimed, "It's a sleeping bag!" It was a coat. Never fear. There was another box of equal size. Her enthusiasm not curbed in the least, she tore the paper off the next box. Her excitement could not be contained as she shouted, "It's a Barbie dream house!" It was a lamp.

This morning, my reading is Hebrews 4. This chapter contains the exciting description of God's word as a "double-edged sword" (Verse 12). Its' words penetrate our souls and measure our thoughts. Immediately following this statement about scripture, the author notes that "nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight." (Verse 13)

Like Hayleigh, I tend to judge a package from the outside. God sees through my wrappings and evaluates my heart. If I want my insides to evoke squeals of joy from God, I need to expose my heart to God's operating tool - His word. His word can pierce my box and change the contents from the inside out.

Jesus, reading and applying Your word is a necessity in my life. In doing so, You place the precious gift of becoming more like You inside my box. Today, I will let You transform my heart into something far more exciting than a Barbie dream house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!