Guess How Much I Love You?

Ephesians 3:17b-18 And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ.

A few years ago Hannah (14) and I went to see a tween-age film in which the mom and daughter declared their loved for each other with the phrase, "I love you a million ___________." I can't even recall the title of that film but the saying was adopted immediately into Hannah's and my vernacular. When I write a letter, email, text or even note on her school napkin, it is often closed with "I love you a million _________."

When she was a young child, I read her the book Guess How Much I Love You? in which the mommy rabbit describes her love for her baby rabbit with height, width and other measurements. I suppose you could say our love has graduated from a few feet to a million. That special phrase is only written to Hannah. It is our unique expression of our distinct love for each other. She will never confuse my love for her with my love for one of her sisters or even her dad. My love for her is reserved just for her....measured at a million.

This morning I am reading Romans 8:22-39. There are some passages in the Bible I could read every day without tiring. For me this is one of those. There are three stunning attributes of God's love for us described in this section.
  1. Indescribable (Verses 26-27) - Have you ever experienced sorrow, anger or even love that beyond expression? These verses teach us that there is no emotion we have that the Holy Spirit living in our heart can't intimately understand and describe in detail to God the Father. His love for us is beyond words. Like a mother holding her weeping child and wordlessly reassuring her child with gentle caresses, our Father embraces us in His love even when we have no words to tell Him what's wrong. His love is indescribable.
  2. Insurmountable (Verses 28-31) - There is no circumstance, situation or force that God can't face straight on to bring about good in our lives. He is not intimidated. He does not back down. He loves us before, during and after every trying moment of our lives and fights on our behalf. His love is insurmountable.
  3. Inseparable (Verses 35-39) - There is not a single thing that can separate us from God's love. There are thousands of prisoners that never receive a single visitor, but God visits them there. There are thousands of elderly that never receive a single visitor, but God visits them there. There is nothing we could conceive or do to separate us from God's love. He is closer to us than a conjoined twin. His love is wrapped up in the fabric of our souls. His love is inseparable.

Jesus, I don't have to guess how much You love me. You've already told me. Your love is boundless, endless and incomparable. Thank you for indescribable, insurmountable and inseparable love. Today pour that kind of love into my heart and back out onto all I encounter today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!