Signed, Sealed, Delivered...to be Sent

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

He used to drive by churches as he longed to go in. Fear kept him from crossing that threshold. Fear of rejection. Fear he wouldn't be counted good enough. Fear that abandon would cost more than he was willing to pay. Then one day, he was caught off guard by an offer from a coworker. The offer was simple. She only asked if he was interested in having hope. Hope brought a heart long dead back to life. Hope radically changed a life. Hope came to someone too reticent to come to hope.

So often I fall victim to the decision that evangelism is only inviting friends and neighbors to my church. This is a great place to start. But my church didn't talk to the woman at the well. The temple didn't entreat Peter to follow. Even my pastor didn't ask my husband if he wanted hope. Each of these events required someone to meet that person wherever they were - a well, a lake, an office building - before they ever followed Jesus into a church.

This morning's reading is Romans 10. This passage is a stirring presentation not only of how to connect to Christ, but how we can help others to connect to Christ.

Connecting to Christ Myself

"Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Verse 13) Jesus promises if I call, he will answer me. My husband, Scott, can remember calling out to God one dark night for help. It wasn't too many weeks later, God asked me to offer Scott hope. When we call out to God, we don't have to wonder whether he'll answer. He is waiting eagerly to hear us call His name. Maybe today you've never called His name but your burning heart is screaming your desire. Confess with your mouth and believe in heart (Verse 9).
  • Confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord". Just tell Jesus right now. You've tried and failed at being the boss of your life. You need Him to take over and clean up this mess you've made. Hold up the white flag of surrender and know He'll take that white flag and wash away your black sin in His red blood.
  • Believe in your heart that God raised him (Jesus) from the dead. If Jesus only died but never came back to life, there would be hope for none of us. Believe that Jesus is alive and that He can resurrect your broken life into one full of joy, life and hope. He came to give you abundant life (John 10:10).

Today if you just surrendered to Jesus or did so decades ago, He signed your name on His hand (Isaiah 49:16). He sealed you with the unbreakable seal of the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13). He delivered you from a life of darkness (1 Peter 1:9). Now He wants you to be sent.

Connecting Others to Christ

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'" (Verses 14-15)

As a woman, I am always eager to hear someone call me beautiful. Beautiful feet adorn a woman who says yes to God. Not because she's qualified but because He is. Not because she knows the right words but because He holds the word of life. Not because she's worthy but because He is. All around me there are people literally dying to believe in Jesus. They can not believe if they do not hear. They can not hear if I do not speak. I can not speak unless God sends me. I can not go unless I say yes.

Jesus, thank you for answering when I called Your name. Today, Jesus, take my broken sould that was resurrected to abundant life and send me. I will say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!