Turning the Lonely Into Lovely

1 John 1:7a ...If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another.

It was one of those moments you dread as a parent. I had brought Hannah and five pals to Walmart for buy treats and rent a movie for their impending spend-the-night. We were standing in front of the movie rental machine scrolling through the selections. The girls were clamoring to rent a film after film Hannah knew would not be acceptable to me. Everything in me wanted to rescue her and play the bad guy by demanding they rent a "G" or "PG" movie. Instead, I resisted my natural inclination and let her be a leader amongst her peers.

Would she try to pass a "sketchy" film by me? Would she come off judgmental and "preachy" as she told them why they shouldn't rent those films. My stomach was in knots. Neither of those. Instead, she graciously listened, silently ignored films she knew she couldn't see and then used her verbal influence with the group to suggest a film that was a happy medium. It wasn't animated but it didn't contain foul language or scenes filled with sexual innuendo. In that moment, she taught me that the lovely don't have to be lonely.

Today's passage is Romans 11:1-18. In this section, Paul recounts an incident that happened to one of the great Old Testament prophets, Elijah. He sitting under a tree in the middle of nowhere, whining because he thought he was the only person left in Israel who wanted to serve and know God (1 Kings 19:3, 14). Personally, I can relate to poor Elijah. Sometimes I want to throw my hands up in the air and cry, "God am I the only one...
  • Who didn't let her kid go....."
  • Who didn't get invited to....."
  • Who doesn't watch....."

It just feels so lonely. It kind of makes me want to go sit under a sad little tree and have a pity party of my own.

In 1 Kings 19, God didn't leave Elijah there to complain and He doesn't want us staying in that place either. Paul gives three nuggets of encouragement in this passage that will turn our lonely into lovely.

  1. Reach Out to Someone Who Feels Like You (Verse 4) - When Elijah asserted to God that he was the solitary follower, God answered that there were 7,000 faithful remaining in Israel. On days when I feel tempted to park my car under Elijah's tree, I need to think about God's statement. Then I need to reach beyond the boundaries of my lonely to someone else who probably feels just like me. Friendship turns the lonely into lovely.
  2. Recognize Who Wants You to Feel Lonely - What's amazing about Elijah's story is that he is out in Podunk, Israel sitting under a tree moping right after one the most amazing events of his life. Just one chapter prior, Elijah had challenged 450 prophets of the false god, Baal, to a contest to demonstrate who's god was really the God. Baal's prophets call for hours but no one answers. Elijah calls and the one and only God answers with fire from heaven so powerful it even consumes buckets full of water (1 Kings 18:20-38). Many times when we make a hard yet right choice in our life, this temptation of isolation immediately follows. Satan takes note of those choices and wants to distract us with seclusion. Fellowship turns the lonely into lovely.
  3. Remember to Give Grace (Verses 5-6) - When I make a difficult decision to follow God faithfully on an issue, it's so alluring to look at others critically because they don't share my passion or conviction. Paul reminds me that I was chosen by God by grace, not because of something I did. I need to share that same grace with others. It is difficult to give grace to others while feeling sorry for yourself. Grace turns the lonely into lovely.

Jesus, today may be one of those tough choice days. When I reach the fork, may I take Your path. As I walk there may I reach out to others on the road, ignore Satan's enticement to his path and give grace to anyone walking another lane.

2 comments:

  1. encouraging! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the truth of your words here Shannon. The prince of the world would love for us to feel lonely in our faith, that we might be overcome by that feeling and turn our backs on choosing right. Your three thoughts are very good and humbling points. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!