No One Takes My Life

Psalm 86:11 Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.

A few weeks ago I was serving in a children's classroom at church. On of my more challenging charges walked up to me and announced, "Yesterday I only ate an apple because I want to be skinny". She's five. How heart-breaking that a five year-old has already enslaved her heart to pursuing a weight for which her body type wasn't built.

Today I read 1 Corinthians 7:20-40. In this section, Paul describes the benefits of remaining single and encourages those called to singleness to embrace this calling that frees one up to serve God with undivided time and devotion. I salute all my single friends who so incredibly depict this kind of passion for Christ.

I am married and thank God for my marriage. He uses it to shape me, stretch me and grow me into a woman who seeks after Him. Though married, I too desire to serve God with an undivided heart.

The 23rd verse gives me a peak at how to do that. "You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men." A slave? Surely I haven't made myself a slave to men, have I? I become a slave to men, when I:
  • Get Consumed With Thoughts of Acceptance - I can seek the approval a particular person so much that I become enraptured. Am I wearing the right clothes? Is my house as well-decorated as hers? Will my parents like this blog post? Am I still as desirable to my husband? I am plagued at times with a multitude of questions. These type thoughts indenture me to whomever I am trying to please.
  • Try to Live a Lifestyle I Can't Afford - It is so much easier to just go charge lunch than to admit to a friend I have no cash to pay for one. It is so tempting to agree to additional expenditures for my kids rather than stick to our budget. These are just a couple examples of financial blunders I make from time to time. When I spend more than I make, I become a servant of my creditors.

Sweet Jesus, forgive me for letting myself become a vassal to such unworthy things. I belong to You. I only want to be Your slave. I have a friend who wisely asserts, "You'll know how well you're doing at being a slave of Christ when someone treats you like one." Today, Jesus, help me turn my focus from enslaving my life to that which is unmerited to freely giving my life away to You and Your precious people. No one takes my life from me...I freely give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!