I Only Have Eyes For You

Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

"Clara.  Clara, where are you?" I called repeatedly.  For the first ten minutes of my search I wasn't concerned.  Clara is so prone to wander that I nicknamed her "The Israelite" back when she was just a crawler.  It was after I entered every room in our house I began to think the worst.

Maybe she went to the playground across the street or to the neighbor's next door.  The idea of disobedience was looking great as opposed to the other options my brain conjured.  She was neither place.  By now I was crying and begging God to help me find her. 

I raced into the bedroom to make the 911 call.  I spotted her snuggled down in my comforter...fast asleep.  My joyful cry fell on dream-filled ears.

Today I read Psalm 15.  David contemplates the character of the person who seeks God with an undivided heart.  He uses words like righteous, blameless, truth and honor as descriptors.  These adjectives seem better suited for the likes of Mother Teresa than me. 

Those minutes I couldn't find Clara filled a decade of time.  I was desperate to find her.  I wonder how my walk with God would look if I pursued Him with the same vigor.  As I considered this the words focus and priority came to mind.
  • Focus - No other thought than locating Clara crossed my mind but often when I sit with God my mind is a swirl of to dos.  To pursue God with passion, I need focus.
  • Priority - No other person entered my mind during my hunt but God competes for brain space with a variety of relationship thoughts.  To fully engage, I need to give Him priority.
Jesus, I picture myself on a frantic search not for a misplaced child but for my misplaced focus and priority.  Today, I choose to give you my undivided attention and thought.  In these moments, I only have eyes for You.

2 comments:

  1. I love that I was the inspiration for this post. You're such a great writer, Momma, and I'm very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww - thanks, Hanny. You are precious and a blessing to me every day. I am proud to be your mom. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!