I Go Walkin'

Psalm 103:1, 4 Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion.

I have enjoyed 2,086 weekends in my lifetime. I calculated this. I know, I know. I'm such a geek. What is amazing about weekends is that oftentimes they're what we say we're living for, yet I can only truly recount a handful from my forty years on earth.

I do clearly remember one, though, from all the way back when I was about ten. My oldest sister had gone off to Kansas State University and pledged a sorority. One of their traditions was to hold a "little sisters" weekend when they would each ask their younger siblings to visit. I had received an invitation. I could not have been more excited if Prince Charming had asked me to his ball.

I was a squirrelly, pesky little sister who was in no way worthy of my sister's bidding. Yet she sent for me anyway. She looked beyond my flaws and immaturity to see a little girl who could grow into a woman who might actually be worthy of such a thoughtful invitation.

Today I reading Ephesians 4. The book of Ephesians has six chapters. The first three chapters cover who we are in Christ. The last three how this should impact the way we live. As Paul transitions, his first admonition is to "live a life worthy of the calling you have received." (Verse 1) A "worthy life" strikes me as lofty, idealistic and out of reach for a regular girl like me. After all, many days I'd get excited if I could just move from chaotic to ordinary.

Then I read the next verse. "Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." If I thought living a worthy life was a stretch being entirely humble, gentle and patient is atmospherically out of range. Perhaps living a worthy life isn't as much about what I do as it is about who I am. This could be why Paul spent half his letter encouraging us to understand whose we really are. Whose I am is what changes who I am.
  • Humble (Philippians 2:8) - "He (Jesus) humbled himself and became obedient to death-even death on a cross."
  • Gentle (Matthew 11:29) - "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I (Jesus) am gentle and humble in heart."
  • Patient (1 Peter 3:9) - "He (Jesus) is patient with you."

Jesus, You are worthy. You are worthy to be praised. You are worthy of all worship. I have made my trip from the pit longer than it had to be. The more I recognize how much I need You, the more you transform my life. You have crowned me with love, compassion, humility, gentleness and patience. Today I will walk worthy only because I will walk with You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!