My Thankful List

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

Perhaps it is because Thanksgiving is a little over a month away or maybe it is that I am facing a day amazingly absent from the stress usually accompanying modern American life but today I just want to hit the pause button. I am taking a pause from my usual format and making a list. It is a simple list of ordinary things for which I am extraordinarily thankful.

Things I am Thankful For Today
  • Rain that comes after nearly two months. God always knows what I need.
  • A husband who works hard and appreciates the fact that I'm at home waiting for him.
  • A church that opens its' doors to the the unwelcome and imperfect regular people of this world.
  • Four amazing daughters who play together and love each other more than I ever dreamed possible.
  • A husband who has taught me what real love looks like and feels like.
  • A house that's so incredibly large that its' many rooms need constant attention. I live in a home far beyond what I could ask or imagine.
  • The fun-filled days of last week's Fall Break. We never left the city but my heart could not have been happier if I'd woken up each morning in an exotic locale. God blessed me with a simple week of enjoying the greatest blessings in my life.
  • My siblings who know me and love me any way. They've seen me at my best and worst and have chosen to love me on every one of those days.
  • Nieces and nephews who though they aren't technically my own have captured my heart and enhanced my life with love, laughter and wonder beyond the borders of my home.
  • My parents who gave me a start in life and modeled hard work and dedication.
  • A safe community where I don't have to worry about my children's safety at church, play or school.
  • Fingers that can type. A mind that can think. Thank you God that you've blessed me with a body to experience Your world.
  • My in-laws who welcomed me and my daughters into their world even though we arrived a bit later than they might have imagined.
  • The hum of my washer and dryer. I don't have to wash clothes by hand.
  • The asphalt roads here that make running much more enjoyable than it was in Dallas.
  • The easy rhythm of my life. I love being a stay-at-home mom.
  • Good friends who make me smile, who pray for me and who notice me.

Jesus, every good thing I have is from Your hand. I don't have to wait for heaven to experience a life that is rich and full. I can enjoy the abundance of your blessings right now. All I have to do is open my eyes.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! love an miss you!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whats cool, is that it rain here too! I have been praying for rain since last week and we got some! Praise God. You have a beautiful life and plenty to be thankful for. God is so Good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should add to this list all of you precious friends who share orange juice with me every morning. What a privilege it is!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!