Stick and Stones

Matthew 5:11 Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. (Jesus speaking)

My left knee is scarred. I was running while pushing the dual jogging stroller containing Hannah and Hayleigh. They were seven and four at the time and perhaps a tad over the weight limit. We hit a bump and the stroller was thrown backwards. Rather than let my precious babies hit the ground, I threw myself down under the stroller to break their fall. My knee bears a scar. It is not a reminder of pain but rather love.

Today I am finishing up Galatians by reading the 6th Chapter. As Paul finalizes his remarks to the church at Galatia, he notes that his body bears the marks of Jesus (Verse 17). This was true for Paul both in a literal and figurative sense. He had been beaten, flogged and whipped multiple times (2 Corinthians 11:23-28). His physical body bore disfiguring reminders of these events. No doubt his heart had also experienced every blow.

Hurtful words. Invitations not extended. Unfair judgements. Misunderstood intentions. My physical body bears no marks from my faith but my soul does. My choice is whether I hold onto that wound or respond with forgiveness and grace. Forgiveness is a healing balm that turns injury into victory.

Recorded in Matthew 5:11 are Jesus' words that declare insults and evil words spoken against His Precious Ones are blessings. He knew first-hand how words sting the heart. He understood the pain of false accusation. He also recognized that His outstretched arms would pay the price for word and slight. His death makes me free - free to give compassion and forgiveness to those who attempt to mark my spirit.

Jesus, Your love makes it possible for me to be blessed by the hurts I've born from another. As I reflect on the marks that remain, may the serve as a reminder not of pain but of love. Truly I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!