Marriage Puts You in a Compromising Position


And the two will become one.
Matthew 19:5


On 6/5/4 at 3 in the afternoon 2 became 1. 


I had been single two years when I whispered "I do" for the second time. I enjoyed evenings to myself, sole control of the remote and meals cooked for one. There was a beautiful simplicity to my life as a single mom. By simplicity I mean selfishness.


When I remarried I had to learn all over again to compromise.


Just yesterday morning Clara and Carynne were "discussing" what to watch on tv. I suggested they compromise and received a blank return. They had no idea what I was talking about. 


The real question was did I?


Have you ever thought about compromise in the context of your marriage? When you compromise with your spouse, you co-promise. You reaffirm your love and loyalty to your spouse by demonstrating your willingness to give up your rights or position for the benefit of the relationship.


There are three areas in which marital compromise is necessary for maximum unity:


Time

He could stay up to midnight. I turn into a pumpkin just after nine pm. To develop intimacy in our marriage, we need time together. I don't succeed every night but I certainly attempt to meet him in the middle on our natural body clocks.

Some days I plan a nap so I'll have more energy at night. Other times I suggest an evening walk to make certain we connect before I fizzle but regardless I compromise when it comes to time. (And I get the good end of the deal...weekly dates with my sweetheart!)

Preferences

I do not like wind blowing on my body at night. The ceiling fan gives me a scratchy throat and chills me to the bone even in the middle of summer. I can choose to complain about the ceiling fan every day for the rest of my life or I can choose to accommodate my spouse's preference.

I dress like our bedroom is an igloo. Choosing his preferences over mine in this area allows me to compromise. (And I still get the good end of the deal...sole control over the remote!)

Activities

There is nothing I like more than rising early on a Saturday morning, making a long list of things to accomplish, achieve or adventure and then doing them. My hubby slides into his Saturday on the back of a turtle. He wants an easy does it approach to Saturday mornings.

I choose to leave him alone and let him have these hours to relax and recharge. (And I still get the good end of the deal...he runs with me early in the morning!)

Even after eight years together, I want to reaffirm my love for my hubby by co-promising daily. Our marriage started like the countdown to a launch 6-5-4-3-2-1. To keep it in orbit will require us both to allow our marriage to put us in a compromising position.

What can you compromise to punctuate your relationship with a co-promise today?

______________________________________________

Will you allow me to give you a gift for my anniversary? I am helping to sponsor a July giveaway of the brand new iPad3 and I'd love for one of my readers to be the lucky winner!

You can find out more details here: http://www.momtobedby8.com/2012/05/ipad3-2.html


2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary! You were a beautiful bride and you still are by submitting in love to your husband's desires. After 20 years of marriage (almost), I've learned that the submitting really does go both ways. Thank God for that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, thank you for sharing your marital wisdom. So thankful for friends like you who are farther down the road and share your insight with me! Blessings to you today!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!