Saddle Up


By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.
Hebrews 11:8


Sherwood Elementary
We lived in Sherwood Forest on Robin Hood Drive. Our subdivision in a small bedroom community outside Seattle, cradled adventure behind every tree. My brother and I were determined to take part.


Our adventuring hearts ultimately landed my mom in the principal's office of Sherwood Elementary. Though the principal is the highest ranking official in the life of young kids, we didn't let him snatch our fun. While our mom discussed some issue around behavior, we behaved like a couple of bandits. 


Sherwood protrudes from a large hill as an unsightly profile shot - a hill steep enough to guarantee fun. Still small enough to sit in a stroller, my brother repeatedly raced to the top of the hill, let my stroller go and let me barrel down as he galloped behind to catch me. I sometimes wonder if that were the precise moment I gave my heart unreservedly to adventure. I was made to be a Robin Hood...or at least a Maid Marion.


You can determine if you have Robin's heart with this simple test. If your spouse came home tonight, told you to pack a bag in ten minutes because your flight to Paris leaves in an hour would you squeal with delight or shake with fright? But what if I told you God has planted His heart of adventure in every one of us?


Faith is the ultimate adventure. God asks every one of us to saddle up and ride into the forest of faith. Behind every tree and down every hill are new thrills. Whether our natural bent is to ride or hide, we need to embrace the adventure of faith. 


The fathers of our faith left us trail markers to follow. Their footprint was faith in action. Yes some, like Moses, questioned their ability. Others, like David, occasionally wandered off the marked trail. All followed God on an incredible adventure.


What is the most thrilling thing God could ask you to do? What is the most terrifying? Surprisingly they might be one in the same. Are you ready to saddle up?




(If you're reading this over email, visit ShannonMilholland.com to view the music video to "The Great Adventure" by Steven Curtis Chapman)

10 comments:

  1. you always write such elequant and beautiful posts. I love discovering the parable or meaning to each story you tell. I am one of those nervous wrecks with adventure. I want to plan everything and hate the unknown when it comes to my family but I can definitely relate to how to connects to our faith and that we need to believe and have adventure in that. I do have faith in christ but it gave me some inspiration and words to live by. take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks Kathryn. Sometimes I wish I were more of an organizer so there's a gift in your personality for sure!

      Delete
  2. I would definitely be excited :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time visiting your blog. I love the way your write. As for the Paris thing... I would be excited, but scared at the same time. What woman can pack her bag in 10 minutes to go to Paris? I believe that every day is an adventure when following Christ. If we listen to what he is telling us and apply it do are daily life... it can be scary because I worry I will never be worthy enough. Then again it is also exciting, because every day is an opportunity to discover new things... in our lives and in the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great that He wants to use us in His work? I love what Lysa TerKeurst says "Work like it all depends on you. Pray like it all depends on Him."

      Delete
  4. Must agree, best and worst are usually wrapped up in one. Like when we first moved to Oklahoma, but turned out to be the best 3 1/2 years of my life! (well, other than the last couple with my daughter!)

    Warmest regards,
    Joy
    http://www.PardonMyPoppet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they? I once lived on the Plains in Kansas. Some people can't stand that part of the country but I sincerely liked it! I found the fields of wheat very soothing!

      Delete
  5. I enjoy your writing so much Shannon. And I often learn from it...in this case, I probably wouldn't jump as eagerly as I should at the chance to fly off on a whim. I would be too preoccupied with details. I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just plan for events in advance than you're already mentally prepared! Of course you'd never get anything else accomplished but coming up with unknown scenarios... lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!