Transforming Prayer - Lord Change Me



Welcome to a new Tuesday series - Life Transforming Prayer. For the next eight weeks we will look at eight areas of life and the single sentence prayers that radically transformed my life. Are you tired of an unsatisfying marriage? Does your health reveal inner struggle? Do struggles in relationships gnaw at your joy? 

Then this series is for you (and me!) Join me for this thrilling journey as we tap into the power of single sentence prayers. Fasten your seat belts...new life awaits!
_______________________

Each one should test his own actions.
Galatians 6:4


I blubbered my way down my first aisle. Deep within I knew a colossal mistake waited at the other end. Eight years of striving in my own power led to divorce.


That second walk down the aisle was not taken without thought and prayer. The love I felt for my new husband made my prior marriage look like puppies were exchanging vows. I was certain. I was resolved. I was invincible.


I was wrong.


My second marriage wasn't much easier than my first. About a year in we faced our first marriage trial. Stress nibbled at our foundation. My husband's flaws surfaced with every bite. 


I knew if he would change, I would be happy.


Out of sheer desperation, I began to take long walks with God. Every step surfaced a new complaint. I could cover miles with the imagined short-comings of my spouse.


One ordinary walk, I felt the tug of God to stop talking about him...and start talking about me. Only I couldn't see my own faults. Scott's grace-filled heart wasn't listing mine. I didn't even know where to start.


I muttered the only prayer I could conceive.


Lord, change me.


Step by step, walk by walk, week by week, God transformed my heart. Heart change led to life change. Grace conquered criticism. Mercy triumphed nagging. Compassion covered callousness. 


Some things about my husband did in time change. Some things did not. The temperature and tone of our marriage set by my thermometer did. My heart warmed to his. 


Lord, change me.


Do you dare to pray it? A renewed, revitalized marriage will be your reward.

21 comments:

  1. Shannon - are you in my head again?! Such a well timed series for me. I love your love of prayer. It inspires me to pray more. Great post. Lord change me. As a wise friend of mine said, another prayer in this situation, "Lord soften my heart towards him" Again, great post. I will be here for this series
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Soften me." That's a great one too. Thanks for sharing it. I'm totally adding it to my arsenal!

      Delete
  2. Great idea for a series, Shannon. Can totally relate to trying to do things in my own strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed this and here you are and I can totally relate to your story. I thought you wrote it for me-lol!

    Thanks for posting

    Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene,

      Don't you love it how God does that? He knows what's on our hearts and sends us word right where we are. He. Is. So. Cool!

      Delete
  4. Thank you Shannon! This is what I need and I like it. There are many areas in our lives, waiting for a change. God can do it! I am very eager to learn. My marriage has also changed for good through prayer. Yet it takes some times (times of stress) more effort to stay close together.

    Thanks! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you are so right. It is during those times of stress and trial when are love is sealed and made real!

      Delete
  5. Wonderfully written. I really enjoyed this. It was just what I needed. I have felt so much stress lately and I know it's me who needs to change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How incredible that God found your heart through my little string of words. He always meets us right where we are!

      Delete
  6. Love this, Shannon. I'll definitely be checking back on Tuesdays. I'm learning in my life that small steps are the only way that this chaotic mess can become the woman God wants me to be. And a sentence prayer at a time.... awesome! And so true about our marriages. How much better would our marriages be if we stopped nit-picking (sp?) each other and prayed ABOUT ourselves and FOR our spouses? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I only have time for a sentence and many times it's all I need especially when I whisper it all through out the day. :)

      Can't wait to see you again next Tuesday!

      Delete
  7. I married a man at 19 (he was 23)who I knew wasn't a Christian (and now he claims to be an atheist) and I just knew I could change him...15 years later...we divorced, and I can't imagine doing it again (marriage that is).

    But there are other ways I could ask God to change me. I might try that tonight turning my nightly prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooo powerful. This really struck a chord with me :)

    "Heart change led to life change. Grace conquered criticism. Mercy triumphed nagging."

    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks E. Hope you're week is going great!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing at "Tell Me a True Story." I can certainly understand frustration when your mate is not living up to what YOU believe HE should. I have learned to let things that are not really important slide. To keep silent when I would prefer to speak, and to pray that he will mellow where I think he is hard. Actually I will keep him, after 62 years - why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol - Well after a 62 year investment you should be getting a good return. My parents just celebrated 51 years!

      Delete
  10. I really enjoyed this. You are always so good at putting things together and letting them make sense. I always enjoy reading your posts. they are so well written. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks Kathryn. I'm amazed how God uses my mess to bless others. :)

      Delete
  11. These were my exact thoughts this week, too! I've had marriage on my mind. I've felt love and comfort and security in my marriage for 95% of it, but the beginning is rough. I think that my thoughts were spurred by the fact that one of my sisters is getting married in August. Being married is SOOOOO much better than being single. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow just the beginning? I think all of marriage is rough! jk!

      So thankful for your visit and I agree marriage is so much better than singlehood. I thank God every day for my spouse. :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!