Life Transforming Prayer - Lord Insight Me



But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
Matthew 5:44


He rarely texts or calls. He makes promises he doesn't keep. He makes no effort to see her. One day at a time he chips away at the surface of a little girl's heart.


He blames his son for the fracture in their relationship. No amount of apologies make a dent in his cold heart. No measure of humility is enough to make him take a single step in his direction. Childhood wounds pierce a middle-aged man's heart.


She'll never admit what she did. Her memories are piled under a mountain of avoidance and rewritten history. She didn't protect her children. They wear the shame she won't confess. 


When I or someone I love experiences deep hurt my natural reaction is retaliation.  My heart incites to anger and hatred. In God's upside down economy, he asks the impossible of me - to pray for those who hurt me.


In A Street Called Freedom, I shared prayer is the door through which forgiveness walks. But it feels like the words will pass through a hypocrite's lips - insincere and meaningless. How can I begin to utter those life-giving words in prayer over my enemies?


Start simple with this prayer: Lord Insight Me.


When we pray for insight and understanding of our opponent, God fills the spaces of our resentment with the healing balm of grace of mercy. 


Lord Insight Me. I long for the freedom of forgiveness.


Lord Insight Me. I can not forgive apart from you. 


Lord Insight Me. Your well of grace and mercy never runs dry.



15 comments:

  1. Wow Shannon. I don't know what to say - this was so deep and moving. I am going to tweet out the message and hope it touches someone in need of hearing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Kenya. You are such a sweetheart! XO

      Delete
  2. Oh Shannon,
    I prayed that very prayer to understand and overcome the hurts in my relationship with my parents. God showed me their struggles, their hurts, their disappointments, THEIR BATTLES. He helped me understand that in the circumstances they were given, with the tools they possessed, they raised me with all the love they could muster. While I held them accountable for their mistakes, I had failed to see their perseverence despite major obstacles. I held them accountable for hurting me, not realizing the hurts they stifled just to survive. Needless to say, we are closer than ever before -- and healing. Together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your insight at "Tell Me a Story." It is true when we pray that God will open our eyes to see the whole picture, we begin to understand the why and we are able to let it go and forgive. You have posted a powerful message here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am continually amazed and in awe at how quickly my prayers are answered when I pray for things from God, such as wisdom, strength, courage, peace, and insight. But trying to deal with life alone? I fail miserably. My human heart doesn't always know what I need for healing, but thankfully God knows. :) Beautiful and powerful words, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, love this - "my human heart doesn't always know what I need for healing, but God does." So true and powerful!

      Delete
  5. I wish that all broken relationships between parents and children coud be mended. Breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be amazing? Love your heart to feel for others!

      Delete
  6. Grace and mercy are so powerful. Thanks for another beautifully touching post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Isn't it amazing how His fountain of grace and mercy never runs dry?

      Delete
  7. Grace and mercy. Nothing else counts more... must rely on our Lord for that to flood our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Caryjo. He is the source of everything we need.

      Delete
    2. this is wonderful-- it took me awhile to get here but Im so glad I finally stopped through-- sometimes HE speaks to you in such a simple way-- thank you for this :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!