The Ocean of Opportunity



The Lord Almighty is with us.
Psalm 46:7


Clara is just as relaxed out of the water!
I smile as I watch them, so different in their relationship to the water. Clara is a fish. She jumps in without reservation like her body was made for the wide open water. Carynne is bullrush. She wades on the steps as her temperament prefers the safety of shoreline. 


They are in the middle of two weeks of swim lessons. Clara is clearly at the top of the class. Carynne is...well I'll just be positive and say she gets a ribbon for 6th place. There was this one day last week though when her ability suddenly surged. At one and only one lesson she exhibited incredible confidence and peace. What made the difference?


The presence of her father.


I traveled over the weekend. Before I left, I invited God to interact with my heart and in my circumstances. I asked Him to open my eyes to people who needed a touch from Him in their ordinary day. 


Honestly I would have rather waded on the steps - read my book, talked to no one and landed at my destination in solitude. At best my natural inclination to help others is 6th place. I saw a mom juggle her baby and bags - I offered to take the bags. My row mate missed beverage service - I ordered her one anyway. What made the difference?


The presence of my Father.


When I'm standing in the laundry room surrounded by more piles of laundry than I have family members, the presence of my father turns drudgery into gratitude.


When I'm stuck in traffic and know my schedule is getting tossed, the presence of my father pervades my worry with peace.


When I'm standing at the shoreline uncertain if an ordinary woman can make any difference, the presence of my father floods my fear with confidence.


The presence of our Father eases us from the shore of the ordinary into the ocean of opportunity.


Into what ordinary task can you invite God today?

24 comments:

  1. beautiful thoughts!! inviting God into my everyday life is my favorite thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charissa, we are definitely two peas in a pod then! So thankful you stopped by the oasis today! Have a blessed week!

      Delete
  2. I love that you ordered a drink for your seat mate - I'm sure that meant the world to her. It's all about the little things in life. God definitely helps with the little things and the big things. I can tell from reading your blog tht you are a very special individual. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, that is such sweet encouragement. Thank you. You've just given me an ocean of it!

      Delete
  3. It is great that God is with us even in the trivial details of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it. It brings such and comfort into our ordinary day. :)

      Delete
  4. Beautifully written. Food for thought at a time when I can't tell you how much I need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So thankful this was timely for you. Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. Beautifully written...I might never look at the shoreline in the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful. What a great message and perfect analogy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, E. So excited to hear how great your book is doing!!!

      Delete
  7. Oh Shannon, THANK YOU! I got some negative feedback today -- and I can take it so personally. What a beautiful reminder that God is here with me. He knows my heart. He loves me even if others apparently don't.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how He loves you. Let yourself drift on His ocean of love today!

      Delete
  8. opened my laptop and your blog was on my screen---don't know why---just glad it made it's way during my morning computer time....a very way to reframe the morning---never alone.
    blessings...p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't God cool? He knew what you needed and directed you to the exact words. :)

      Delete
  9. This is so great! I needs my heavenly Father so this week! His presence will give me wisdom in the conversations I have with my daughter of 20. She jammed her medical studies.

    I love your posting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying for your conversation with your daughter, sweet friend!

      Delete
  10. Shannon, have I told you lately how much I love visiting your beautiful blog? Well, I love it! You are an amazing and gifted writer. It's the presence of my father that makes all the difference in my day to day, as well. Thank you for reminding me that His Spirit is always present, pushing me to do and be better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Packing is probably the biggest task I need help with. We are moving soon and I have trouble finding the motivation to pack up everything we own...it's tedious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Father,

      I lift up Judy to you right now. Give her the wisdom to know the order, the energy to stay the course and the encouragement to keep gratitude in her heart.

      Sweet blessings to you today!

      Delete
  12. I invite God to help me go through work with grace and more more patience. I deal with different types of people and by the grace of God, I've been doing great. Thankful for the strength He has given me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a gift, Roxi, that you're willing to accept people as they are and invite God to help mold you into someone who can positively impact them. Love that!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!