That's the Power of Love


Do everything in love.
1 Corinthians 16:14


We were young and just naive enough... to wait out the rest of the concert goers. My sister, good friend and I lingered outside Huey Lewis' limo long after the last note. Eventually a stubby man saddled up beside us. 


Photo Credit: billboard.com
We expected to be dismissed. We were.


He called himself Something-a-Rather Lewis, claimed to be Huey Lewis' personal manager and invited us to a private after party at his hotel suite. We were young and just naive enough... to actually go.


After a half hour of Cokes and pretzels, the door handle turned. In strolled Huey Lewis and the News. Huey Lewis was quintessential cool. He learned everyone's name in the room in a matter of minutes. He was affable, friendly and charming. He entertained us with his favorite tunes - all country and western. 


Huey sang about the Power of Love. This message resonated with people, making it a Billboard #1 hit in 1985. At the time I didn't think much of Huey's dichotomy. He sang one style of music but his passion was another.


I don't know why he didn't pursue his passion. Perhaps he thought his passion would pay less. Perhaps his passion seemed a greater risk. Perhaps he lacked the confidence to pursue his dream.


I'm no longer young but I'm just naive enough... to believe God wants us to pursue our deepest passion and our highest calling. But how?


How do ordinary people who get frustrated in traffic, perform hundreds of routine tasks a week and forget to buy things at the grocery store live a life like that?


The Power of Love.


Love should be our motivation.
Passion should be our guide.
Do everything in love.


I want to nest my heart firmly in His love so passion can fly from my heart.


What could the Power of Love do for you?



21 comments:

  1. I have a strange urge to watch Back to the Future now. Great post! I'm sure a lot of actors, musicians, writers feel the same way. The 'Christian' path doesn't pay a lot and is a small market, but it would be well worth it to 'break into' it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, Michael J Fox aka Calvin Klein is definitely a cutie in that movie! My parents (retired pastor) have a wall hanging that says something like "My job doesn't pay well but the retirement benefits are out of this world." Ha!

      Delete
    2. That's awesome! Love that. lol

      Delete
  2. Hi Shannon - God's love for us is freeing. It has freed me to love better despite hurts and resentments. Great post sweet lady
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It has freed me to love better" I'm totally tweeting you girlie friend!

      Delete
  3. Shannon another wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great post, Shannon! Pursuing our calling is what I'm talking about at Encouragement Cafe today... and I LOVE how you added LOVE as what should be our motivation. (By the way, this was a good trip down memory lane, as well.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh fun! Can't wait to read your post at EC!

      Delete
  5. As I go through the challenges of daily life, I all too often forget about His love. That's why I end up feeling uninspired, and lacking in passion. I have to start seeing God's love in the smallest of things. Only then, I guess, will I be able to finally find what I'm really passionate about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read two post this morning about following your dreams or greatest passions. Coincidence?
    Thanks for the great post.
    Leigh
    www.oneandoneequalstwinfun.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you're getting ready to pursue a vaca with twins. Could they possibly give you a moment's rest to contemplate your passion(s)? :) (Here's hoping...)

      Delete
  7. What could the Power of Love do for me? Make me more accepting of a certain person who tests every level of patience I have. This was a great walk down memory lane (love 80's music) and a great reminder that we are COMMANDED to love others. Ugh. This was a shot in the arm. Thanks, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post Shannon! I do have a little Huey Lewis singing in my head now - it is nice to hear that he was a nice man, and interesting to hear how he was performing one genre of music and not his passion. So many of us are like that...doing one thing but passionate about something else. Thanks for inspiring thought :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This really speaks to me in regard to my four daughter. I want them to chase their dreams and I definitely don't want to be he naysayer in their lives telling them not to live their passion.

      Delete
  9. OH my...I am jealous. I wanted to meet Huey back in the day. I loved his story how he kept on trying, not giving up, until he made it in his 30's.

    Why not pursue the dream in a Godly way? You're right...less fame and money.

    What does the power of love do for me? Keeps me sane and a willing slave to our Savior. As it should be. Without it, I am lost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here we are trying and not giving up in our...wait I'll just call it our 30s. :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thank you for your comments!